Umbrella Brand Campaign for VKU
- The VKU (German Association of Municipal Utilities) wanted to raise awareness among the general public about the municipal utilities’ strengths.
- Municipal utilities were exposed to extreme competition from companies with German-wide operations.
- Competitor advertising focused on ‘price’ as the most important criterion in choice of provider.
- Aims are to persuade the municipal utilities to take part in a joint marketing campaign financed by separate contributions, to establish a clear positioning for the VKU in the public sphere and strengthen its internal organisation and to generate public awareness about the added value delivered by the municipal undertakings to citizens.
- Design, development and implementation of a multi-flight, cross-media umbrella brand campaign, meine-stadtwerke.de.
- Placement of ads in national German daily newspapers, posters in participating cities and commercials on radio stations with high reach, plus implementation and maintenance of a campaign website.
- Communication of value provided by the municipal utilities which differentiate them from private service providers to the general public (focus on public welfare vs. focus on profit maximisation).
- Provision of supplementary central campaign tools for individual local use.
- The high number of municipal utilities participating in the campaign strengthened the VKU both internally and externally.
- The municipal utilities gained strong support in citizen surveys.
- All participants are extremely satisfied with the direct feedback from citizens.
Business segments & services